There’s more from the last passage we read to hope about. Remember? God said, “My justice,” Job 40:8. What did He mean by that?
Let’s start at the beginning shall we?
Shall we repeat that Christ was crucified before the foundations of the world were laid, Revelation 13:8 and only revealed to us recently, 1 Peter 1:20. In Genesis 2:17, God warns Adam and Eve of the consequence of disobedience/eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil – they will surely die. We also know that death entered through sin, Romans 5:12-19 although I am having to wait on God for a thorough understanding I believe Him because Paul writes, in this passage, that God’s gift of grace came to us through one man, Christ, & surpasses the trespass or crossing of God’s boundary line. So we see that, from the beginning, God built mercy into His system.
Here is a small sample of what God has to say about justice from Biblegateway’s NIV:
- Exodus 23:1 Do not spread false reports. Do not help a guilty person by being a malicious witness.
- Exodus 23:2 Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd…
- Exodus 23:6 Do not deny justice to your poor people in their lawsuits…
- Leviticus 16:19 Do not pervert justice or show partiality. Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds the eyes of the wise and twists the words of the innocent.
The above list comes from the law of Moses. Isaiah 58:6-9 and following gives more insight:
- loose the chains of injustice
- break or untie the yoke of oppression
- share your food with the hungry
- provide the poor wanderer with shelter
- clothe the naked
- do not turn away from your family
Isaiah comes with a promise: “your light will break like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help and he will say: Here am I….” “…then you will find your joy in the Lord,” verse 14.
I think I will stop here in order to digest. There’s a lot more, type the word justice into the search bar at Biblegateway.com in any of the versions and see what I mean!