NOTE: in progress as I mentioned this in class and feel the need to publish first.
When I took my first Communications course we had to read Jim Signorelli’s StoryBranding 2.0. It occurred to me that God tells us His story and maybe He has a brand.
After joining a social media platform in 2009 my faith was accosted by accusations about God such as “If God exists why does He allow suffering?” or “How can a good God allow pain?” I wanted to answer Peter’s call in 1 Peter 3:15-16 (note the 2nd sentence):
“But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.“
I needed to find an answer first. The Lord provides. I had a testimony to share and hope it did and continues to do some good as water or seed, 1 Corinthians 3:6-9:
- an angel came and ministered to me during an abduction
- I heard the gospel and God changed my life immediately as well as over time
- God spared the life of one our children through 4 life threatening events
- God spared the lives of our other children through life threatening events just not as many or so close together
- The Lord called me to come stand before Him as if I were on trial
- Love came to escort a friend Home & I got to be a witness
This is my testimony up to that point in a nutshell. It continues:
- The Lord taught me that I have hope and when pressed to throw it away to recognize I have to have something before I can get rid of it
- The Lord called me to work for Him
Those of you who follow me on Twitter or in real life know that I need God to keep working on me for the “gentle and with respect” part as I am not always gentle.
Signorelli talks about prospects – these are the people whom you hope will buy your product. Who are God’s prospects? All of us. Every single last one of the human race. Let that sink in. Want/need proof? Here’s what God says about us in His own Word:
- “God is not willing that any should perish” 2 Peter 3:9
- Matthew 28:19-20 “go into all the world and make disciples of all nations”
- John 3:16 “for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish”
But that really tells us more about God’s inner layer than our outer layer.
- “We all, like sheep, have gone astray” Isaiah 53:6
- Jeremiah 17:9 (NKJV) “the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked”
I’m rereading the book and come across the marketing concept, “firms should analyze the needs of their customers first before making decisions about how to satisfy those needs better than their competition” (p. 79-80). Who is God’s competition? Remember who wanted to “set his throne above God’s stars” Isaiah 14:13? Remember also who asked “Did God really say” in Genesis 3:1? (Hint: Its the same entity.) Why talk about God’s competition or the marketing concept? Because here is where we will find God’s inner layer.
plans to prosper you
delights to give you the kingdom